Friday, May 14, 2010

Tenth Day of Project

No experiments today!!! I was glad and sad at the same time...but it's not the end of it. I had to take a break from doing experiments so that I could analyze the data I had already collected. So first of all I had to record all the areas from the ten experiments I performed on Thursday. Each experiment had its own graph and the graphs each had 3 peaks: methanol, water and 1-octanol. So I had to take the area under each peak for all the experiments - it wasn't as bad as it sounds; the computer did the calculations for me, I just had to record the numbers. :)

After collecting all the data, I entered them into Excel together with the actual data I had made up (the actual percentages I used in making up the solutions for the experiments)...then I had to do some 'tedious' calculations on Excel to find the percentage of the total area for each component (methanol, water, 1-octanol), then the sum of the percentages (both from the data taken from the GC [the raw data], and the data I had created while making up the solutions [actual data] ). I then had to graph the actual data against the raw data, and had to get graphs that were linear and passed through the origin - but that wasn't the case with my data.

It turns out you have to "normalize" the data (I'm still trying to understand what that means). So I had to figure out response factors for the 3 components, then use them in the same calculations I had done before -then plot the graph again. This time it wasn't so bad; the graphs were almost linear, and not so far from the origin.

So, next time I will probably try to smooth out my experiments (make sure my injections are perfect) and do the same thing all over again...hopefully the graphs will turn out better!

No comments:

Post a Comment